Friday, February 4, 2011

Journal 3

I am not a reader, but when I was introduced to the Twilight series I could not put the books down. I watched the Twilight movie first, which sparked my interest to start reading the books. The storyline caught my interest so I wanted to get the full story from the books. After reading the book Twilight, I realized how much better it was compared to the movie. Besides the bad animation effects, there were several scenes that were altered between the book and movie. In the movie, Bella arrives in Forks and is introduced to Billy and Jacob Black right away. In the book, Jacob and Billy are not introduced until later. Also, Laurent, James, and Victoria never kill anyone in the first book, but kill two people in the movie. I feel these scenes were added to create more action and introduce the characters more quickly. The movie stuck closely to the basic plot of the book, but failed to really show the audience how passionate Edward and Bella's love was. The book is much more descriptive and allows the reader to feel their love in a deeper way. Both the book and the movie are set in modern time, but flashback to before Edward became a vampire in the 1900's. Twilight raises the issues of morality, sex, and love, which in turn, relates to the particular audience of teenage girls. I feel this tells me that it is important to read the text with the context in mind. If I were to get caught up it the plot of the story and oversee what the context was really saying, I may be misled and take the context too literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment