Monday, February 7, 2011

Journal Three


One of my favorite book-to-movie adaptations is The Outsiders. What I liked most about it was that the movie kept things relatively the same as the book. A lot of newer movies change so much of what happened in the book. I don't know if this is to attract different audiences or to accomplish something else, but it happens. My favorite part of the book/movie is the characters. They all fit their parts really nicely and do a great job of portraying their specific roles. When The Outsiders was written in 1965, published in 1967, and set in the 1960's, a lot of stuff was going on. A lot of sexism and racism was going on in this decade, a gallon of gas was 25 cents, and houses sold for about $12,000. What do all of these things mean? They might have had something to do with what was going on in the book because of the fact it was set in the 1960s. When I finally saw the movie in seventh grade, after reading the book for my English class, the way I imagined the characters and their relationships with one another turned out to be exactly how I pictured them. Also, there were many big name actors in this movie, which I was surprised to find out. Matt Dillon, Patrick Swayze, Tom Cruise: who wouldn't want to see this movie?

No comments:

Post a Comment