Saturday, February 5, 2011

Journal 3


Of course, Twilight is one of my favorite film adaptations. What teenage girl doesn't like a buff and chivalrous immortal? So I thought.

Don't get me wrong, Edward is an exceptional figure, but shouldn't there be more to him than glittering skin and an enticing smile? The movies have opened my eyes to what I was overlooking in the literature, and therefore have me questioning my praise for the saga.

Summit Entertainment delivered on the statuesque idea of Edward, which, I'm sure, has contributed a great deal to Twilight's success. Also, surprisingly, they managed to stick incredibly close to the actual events and dialogue. My only disappointment would be how glamorous Bella is portrayed. (In the book she is described as "plain.") Other than that, I am content with Summit's efforts; content with the fact that all the characters possess "skin deep" beauty.

But what else is there? A couple heroic acts, raging hormones, questions of mortality...?

What was this all really about? Well, that's about it. Good looking people. The movie industry utilized this aspect of the text most because that is how western culture operates at present: We strive to improve our outer beauty, and we look to appropriate figures to set the bar, like RPatz and Kristin Stewert.

The main issue raised, I think, is whether or not attraction is based on non-secondary qualities. Today, for a culture where youth is hungrily desired and is a generation responsible for solving new world problems, it makes sense that juvenescence and beauty are important.

I think any reader of Twilight, in the future (or if they could, in the past,) needs to consider that physical perfection has dominated the western culture for much of the late 20th/early 21st century. For example, imagine Aristotle picking up a copy of Twilight. What would it mean to him? What does being good looking have to do with realizing the self? He would have to understand what a pertinent theme "beauty" is to our time and culture. Likewise, how could our culture begin to understand how old age is preferred in eastern culture, not for their beauty necessarily, but for their wisdom?

All in all, I think Twilight serves its purpose as a fantasy of western culture- happiness orbiting around chiseled jaws, prominent cheek bones, and a slim physique. However, it's hard not to buy into it. That's just how we've grown up.





No comments:

Post a Comment