Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Journal 9

I have learned that I write papers better when I'm not set under strict guidelines. ENG 112 allowed me to be more creative in my writing and write about topics that I got to choose myself. I discovered how to find the hidden meanings in texts and really analyze what the author is trying to say. This connects to Vonnegut's rules where he says, "find a subject you care about." I believe this statement is extremely true because if you don't care about the subject you're basing your writing on, you won't be interested in really putting forth your best effort. One rule that I was a little iffy about was "keep it simple". I know that run-on sentences are supposed to be non-existant in papers, but if you keep everything "simple" it won't allow you to be creative and descriptive in your own way.

1 comment:

  1. The most difficult part of writing is to express our ideas as brilliantly and coherently as possible while maintaining our style, the voice the speaks our thoughts aloud (in an internal sense.) But how do we go about finding our style? I agree with Kurt Vonnegut when he says that the only way to write something well, is to talk about something that interests us. This semester, I've had the chance to further develop my style of writing because I got to present what I know best, myself. The inquiry prompts were relevant to my life and allowed me to take it in any direction I wanted.
    However, more than identifying my style I now value the revision and editing process as the most important step in the writing process. The best advice, I think, that Vonnegut gives us in this particular passage is to always be mindful of the audience. That is, cut what is not necessary and don't digress too far from the subject at hand. I'm mindful of my audience in this way, constantly asking myself how would I as the reader want the text to unfold.

    ReplyDelete