Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Journal 2

Close reading, to me, means carefully considering a text and then reflecting on the analysis. I ask questions like how do characters and reoccurring themes contribute to the overall meaning of the piece? What is my responsibility as the reader?

Especially with Inquiry 1, I am learning more and more about the relationship between the author and reader. Jane Austen, the author of Pride and Prejudice, gradually instills great trust in her audience as the plot unfolds. This is because I find that the more I closely examine the story and its mechanics, I begin to notice where I fit in relation to it. By this, I mean that I start to associate myself within the thematic context. For example, I payed close attention to the protagonist, Elizabeth Bennet, whom I always thought of as just a main character; however, through this close reading I have found what makes her a heroin of Western culture and women alike. Careful examination of the dialogue is what has helped me to realize her significance.

What makes a strong and independent person (not just female), as I have come to understand it through the close reading, is the pursuit of truth, knowledge, and self-betterment. The idea of a close reading in relation to the reader is not necessarily about discovering how similar we are to a character, but how we feel we should act on behalf of this knowledge. For me, I realize that there is more I could do to become as strong a force as Elizabeth Bennet; however, I must also look to the broader context of the protagonist (and likewise my own life) to determine how to proceed.

No comments:

Post a Comment